Black Bear has been on my bucket list for a while now. Had a hunt planned for the last three years, but due to minor setbacks with my job, it wasn't possible till this year.

My son became a Senior in High School this year and I thought the hunt would be a great Senior gift. He has used my Bisley Hunter quiet extensively for the last six years and I thought it was time he should have his own; what better for him to use on a bear hunt.

His weapon of choice (obviously) was his new Bisley Hunter shooting a 300 WFN LBT by Beartooth Bullets over 19.0 grains of H110 for about 1250 fps.

On the first evening of the opening day, at around 6:20pm, he tagged out...

The shot was 35 yards and broad side. He aimed for a center shoulder shot and the bear dropped at the fall of the hammer. He managed to crawl ten yards away, toward a river, and fell 35-40 feet off a straight down cliff into a creek. We could hear the bear splashing, so we climbed down and he give him a finishing shot to seal the deal... Neither bullet was recovered. The guide skinned it and was though before I could get photos of the bullets damage, but he said there was a lot of damage.

Oh...I failed to mention; I was videoing the whole hunt and got some great footage.

After opening day, the role turned and I became the hunter and he became the cameraman. Day two ended with no sightings of the black ghost, as well as day three. Day four of the hunt brought a cold front in and got my expectations up a bit. That morning showed in the mid-40's with highs forecasted in the mid-60's.

That afternoon prove to be cool and windy. At about 5:15pm, a beautiful sow came in quickly! I kneed my son and he barely had time to turn on the camera when it arrived at the bait sight. Unfortunately, she didn't have the bait on her agenda and started to depart as fast as she came in. At 45 yards and the only clearing I had for a shot, I "macked" her; didn't even think about it, it just came out naturally. She stopped in her tracks and I steadied the JPoint red dot on her shoulder.

My weapon of choice for this hunt was my FA M97 shooting the Hornady 250 XTP over 20.0 grains of 2400. It prove to be great medicine for a Black Bear...

At the jump of the muzzle, the bear did a barrel role and crashed about 5-7 yards from where she stood at the shot. The XTP passed completely through both shoulders and did massive damage to the heart. This is the entrance hole by the 250 XTP at around 1250 fps...

I was so intrigued with the entrance hole, I forgot to take a picture of the exit hole, but it looked identical.

My son got everything on video. We couldn't have had a better Father/Son Hunt...

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.