I've gotten more deer with 1911 style handgun in .45 ACP with standard self-defense 180 to 230 grain JHPs than any others simply because I had it with me working my mini-ranch, finding where the horses escaped, fixing fence, pick and shovel reclamation, clearing trail, etc. I have carried more recently Glock 20SF in 10mm auto, Glock 35 40 S&W and recently Glock 41 .45ACP+P. I carry standard factory ammo in the 10mm auto, use Double Tap 200 grain "controlled expansion" (bullet unknown to me) in 40 S&W, Hornady 220 grain FlexLock in 45 ACP+P. I know small,lighter, fast bullets work but find piece of mind with .40 cal/200 grain/1000 fps as minimum. A longer sight radius seems to help me, along with adjustable sights, fiber optic or tritium inserts. The extra barrel length gives less than a 100 fps edge in most of my Glocks, not really an issue but a nice bonus. I dedicated hunt with a revolver most of the time. Semiautos are with me for targets of opportunity.
Saving the brass to reload while practicing in the woods/fields seems to be the only inescapable fault of semiautos.

Last edited by Redhawk500; 10/05/2014 4:04 PM.