Thanks guys. I've shot the 500 a lot but just never needed that much gun. The recoil with full house loads is brutal which (for the guys that have known me for all these years} probably sounds unusual. It used to be more recoil was more fun but anymore I like the light hitters like the 454. I've already started another 458 Lott barrel for my encore but I really don't know why. Something about a 350gr 458 cal bullet running 2100fps out of handgun barrel or a 500gr at 1900 that is appealing. I shot both revolvers today at my home range and while I can't shoot as tight of groups with the 500 due to the recoil it is well within hunting limits with fist sized groups at 50yds. I have another revolver project I'd like to take but as of yet I haven't got it where I want it. It's a SS Ruger Old Army 7.5". I've been playing with 230gr and 250gr semi hard cast bullets of my own design. The trick is to get the bullet just the right size to be a friction fit going into the chamber and to get it soft enough to seal but hard enough to penetrate. The other problem I'm dealing with is powder capacity. The first two are handled but the last is going to either take having a new cylinder made or making it myself or going to a duplex load. The latter is tricky when mixing smokeless and black powder. One thing I can say though is that although my velocities aren't where I want them my groups at 50yds with iron sights run right with the red dot equipped 454 and 500.

Last edited by wapitirod; 02/28/2015 6:11 AM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist