Originally Posted By: SChunter
The mods on the BFR (or any customization of any factory gun for that matter), less so...

That's outdated conventional wisdom that just doesn't hold true any more. If you watch the comings and goings of the used custom revolver market, nobody is losing any money on them. The gunsmiths that build them have very well deserved reputations and people know what they're paying for. You buy a new FA and use it for a year, you're going to lose money on it. You commission a custom gun and use it for a year, you won't lose a dime.

Apart from that, if you've never owned a true custom revolver from a talented gunsmith, you don't know what you're missing. Make no mistake, even if you have a passel of FA's, you ARE missing something. There are very good reasons why I have a bunch of custom guns and not one FA. Just as there are very good reasons why I sent a 50th anniversary Blackhawk off to become a .500JRH, rather than ordering a new FA .500WE. Hell, I could've bought two for what I'll have in the Ruger but I wouldn't have gotten exactly what I wanted either. I wouldn't have it any other way. Do I think the finished product will take a backseat to an FA in any regard? Not hardly.