I put in for an Antelope tag with some preference points this year. Should be able to get it, but nothing is ever certain. Been preparing as though I will get drawn, and these thoughts came to mind:

I only have a 45 Colt (being made as we speak by Jack), 460 S&W, and a 500JRH. The 500JRH is out as I would like to save as much meat as possible, and there isn't much on an antelope anyway. However, if the 440gr WFNGC bullet is just going to punch a clean hole in and out, that may not be bad at all. Most likely thought, the exit wound, I would expect, could be substantial.

The expansion of the 300gr XTP MAG coming out of the 460 would probably expand if it hits bone, and cause a lot of damage. But then again, my first big game animal of any kind was a buck taken at 100 yards, and the bullet passed through with an exit hole the same size as the entry hole. Went right between two ribs on its way in, and on its way out. No bone was broken at all. Of course, I can't rely on being this lucky every time, so I think the XTP MAG is most likely going to hit bone and expand, causing a large exit wound, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

The 45 Colt may be the winner here, but being that I don't even have the gun yet, and have no date projected for its return, I may not have enough time for load development to get it going. If it does get here in time, I only have the 335gr hardcast that I'll be loading for it. This too should have a pretty small entrance and exit wound, but again, that's no guarantee.

To those of you that have taken a lot of big game, what would your advice be if you were talking to someone wanting to save as much meat as possible? Are all of these bullets just "inches apart" in the amount of damage caused when exiting, or are we talking about one or more of these bullets being capable of ruining an entire quarter? That's what I want to avoid. I don't care about losing a little rib meat, but I don't want to lose a quarter.

Oh, And head shots are out of the question. I won't do it.

Last edited by raptortrapper; 05/03/2015 8:15 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.