Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I make every effort to respect the ways others choose to hunt without judging. I think we do more damage to our cause by not putting up a united front at all times.

I agree. Just as important is no matter what you choose to hunt with, practice, be proficient and stay within your effective limits when hunting. I shoot and hunt with traditional bows (I have nothing against people shooting compound bows). I've been embarrassed by other trad shooters at archery ranges in the past who have an elitist attitude because they shoot traditional and let everyone in hearing distance know it. The same guy does not spend much time practicing and shoots horrible groups. That sheds a bad light on trad archers to people shooting compounds. If they have not seen someone who is proficient with trad bows, they may dismiss them as being inaccurate, ineffective and unethical for hunting. I would rather see that guy pick up a compound, a crossbow, a scoped rifle, etc, whatever it takes for him to be proficient and make clean kills.

I grew up hunting with open sighted military surplus rifles. After that I only hunted with handguns, traditional bows and traditional muzzleloaders. I just started shooting and hunting with scoped rifles in the last few years. I didn't shoot my first big game animal with a scoped rifle until I was about 41 or 42. I know I've been guilty of having an elitist attitude toward hunting with scoped rifles in the past. I still hunt with handguns, bows and muzzleloaders. Now I'm also hunting/shooting with something I never thought I would use. My outlook on hunting has changed somewhat too over the years. I'm more concerned with stocking the freezer. "Trophies" and what I hunt with have become less important to me.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper