Originally Posted By: raptortrapper
Man this is good stuff guys! Thank you!! I have been using the Cast Performance bullets, and love the accuracy I am getting with them. SChunter, what you said kinda makes it click... a little bit. Being that lead is soft, what kind of weight retention do you guys expect with these soft nose hard cast bullets? I would figure the "soft" part would slough off during impact / expansion. Too rapid / too much expansion would mean the mushroom gets thin, which would cause it to weaken and break off, wouldn't it?? I guess maybe this is why these bullets are run a little slower?

RT, the only one that I'm aware that stayed in an animal was captured by James from Jersey in a pig a year or so ago. Perhaps he or Glenn can share a pic from that recovery. Incredible bullet expansion and weight retention.
Just like with jacketed bullets, there is velocity window for optimal performance - it just so happens that the BHN of these bullets that I have on hand work really well at 1000-1100 fps, yielding great accuracy in my gun, excellent terminal performance, without the crazy recoil that I get with increased velocity.

Could I drive it harder? Yes - would the bullet hold up? Probably not.

As far as it being a new idea, it's not - Look up the writings of Glen Fryxell. He has some great articles on the subject. But Sixshot has some great Miha molds and has the hardness down perfect for the Bullet design and the velocities we want to drive them. Plus, he is an extremely accomplished handgunner, hunter, and not to mention, a super nice guy
\:\)