As the tools of hunting have evolved over the centuries, so have its definitions. And its purposes. And its participants. I can see both sides of the question this thread presents, and can identify with both sides.

I frankly do not like the modern 21st century society I find myself in today, and it's swiftly declining array of values and morals trouble me. Greatly. So I find myself holding on to the past a bit more as I grow older, going back to the old ways, the old tools, the old definitions. This is mostly, I think, a futile attempt to stop the unstoppable, or at least remain above it.

We are surrounded by compromise and cheating in America today. It is rampant in all realms of our society, from politics to religion, from business to sport, from marriage to ... gender identity.

If I am not careful, I will start to get suspicious of all change, of all growth, of all things modern.

The OP's question was legitimate, in my opinion, as it is always a good idea to question, to be careful, to learn and to endeavor to not be found among the cheaters of our world today.

However, the answers were also correct, in that they have assured the OP that the different methods and tools used were NOT cheating, and assuring him that we here on this forum are a community of honest sportsman that have carefully weighed our methods and tools, and have merely evolved along side of hunting itself, using the tools that best suit our physical abilities, our unique geography, and the particular game we are hunting.

So, its all good. We continue to watch over the sport that we love to make sure we are not sucked into the morass of immorality that pervades our society, as we continue to learn, grow and evolve in ways we can cleanly, humanely, honestly harvest the game that God has so lovingly and generously provided.

(I cant help it, I've been a preacher for 20 years!)
\:\)

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.