Just got home from my Goat hunt in Alaska

I used Lonesome dove outfitters, Dennis Zadra.
Great operation. This hunt is a REAL hunt. No boats, no horses, no way to get there except for a big pack and a grueling hand full of days. My Guide was Bryan Galager.

I chose my 358 JDJ contender with a healthy load of RE 7 and Barnes 180x's. Chronoed this load at 2400 fps+ and about 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

i'll keep it simple...flew to a small coast beach about an hour from Cordova. Set up a decent base camp at 4 pm...then filled our packs with spike gear and climbed til dark...and I do mean climb...cramp ons and ice ax in hand, through waterfalls at times straight vertical...it was incredibly brushy and entangled. Rain fell continually. I was soaked from sweat when I finally got into my bivy

Next morning at light we continued almost 2000 more vertical feet. My watch showed an altitude of just over 3000' after the goat was down. If my wife knew the rocks, cliffs and terrain we went through, im sure she would not be happy.

The shot was 160 yrds. First shot broke the left sholder, goat spun. Second shot broke the right sholder...goat headed for the downhill cliff...got another round in him high above the sholder..then he went over. Hike down and around to him...probably 400'+ down...He was tangled in some big rocks and still alive...had to put one more in the vitals,,,,

I shot as well as I could. the shots were perfect. Exactly where I aimed them. Recovered both sholder bullets in the opposite off sides...both weighed 178 grains....

My conclusion is these Billies are one of the toughest things ive ever hunted. I believe I had enough gun, but more would not be a bad thing.

We got down late that day to base after collecting spike camp. Spent two more days in bad weather before a float plane could pick us up....Mt house and a little whisky and cider were a comfort though.

On a side note. If anyone wants a great gear list for a hunt like this...just pm me. I only carried 37 pounds for a potential 6 day spike out. Everything I used worked as it needed to. The Goat measures 9 7/8 and had 5 3/8 bases...not sure how it will end up, but Im curious if it stacks up well in SCI