I like using heavy for caliber bullets no matter what caliber I'm shooting. I like the 335gr in my 45 Colt. 440gr in my 500JRH. But the 460 is the odd ball out as I shoot 300gr jacketed bullets through it. It was built with a different function in mind though -- Distance. The 300gr XTP MAG really shines with that application.

I understand what you're saying about the hot loads, and agree 100% that they aren't needed. I also agree that 90% of hunting can be done with a 45 Colt, or even a 44 magnum for that matter. But hey, if I want to shoot a 500JRH, or a 600 Nitro revolver, as long as I can be accurate, and I enjoy shooting them, and WANT to shoot them, why shouldn't I? It's all just personal preference anyway, as long as we get our shots in the proper place. A bad shot with a hot load out of my 500JRH won't do NEAR the job your 44 magnum will do with a light load and correct placement. We've all said this and agreed to it a 100 times. As for my thinking, anything after that is just preference, and nothing more. I like big bores. I like heavy bullets. I like running them fast. Doesn't mean I "NEED" to do it to kill anything. Just means I WANT to do it.

I see it like this:
Why would anyone drive a BWM when they can get there in a Pinto? BECAUSE THEY CAN!!

Last edited by raptortrapper; 10/10/2015 1:18 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.