Originally Posted By: Whitworth
Same size differential between the .45s and .475s and no one denies it as a step up, so why put the .44 and .45 in the same category? Just curious.

Because of the data provided. Because the .44 and .45 operate with the same weight bullets. Bullets that are the extreme for them are light for the .475. Because while .45 bullets may be larger in diameter, sometimes the meplat diameter is not in its favor. No one ever mentions this, it is always assumed that the .45 is bigger but often they are the same. Sometimes the .44 is "bigger".

The .475 is more of everything. Larger bore, longer case, a lot more pressure. The .475 has enough case capacity and pressure range to utilize heavy bullets like 430's at 1350fps. Same for the .500's. The gap between the .44/.45 and .475/.500 is much broader than it is between the .44 and .45, or the .475 and .500. The .475 and .500's are significantly more of everything.

Which bullet is "bigger"? The 335gr .45 in the center and the 355gr .44 at the right are capable of the same velocity. The meplats are within .005" of each other. Yet the .44 bullet is 20gr heavier with a sectional density equal to a 400gr .45cal bullet. While the 310gr .44 at the left has the biggest meplat of all. The argument not being that the .44 is better. The argument is that the same ole "greater performance at less pressure" or that "the .45 is better with heavy bullets" represents outdated thinking. IMHO, the .44 is slightly denser and slightly faster while the .45 is 'usually' slightly larger. The net difference being a wash.

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I would love to see how a 355 grain .429 actually performs. A number of years ago I tested a 405 grain bullet in the .44 Mag and it was pretty much a disaster in every regard. Have you tested 355s? Are they accurate? Did you try them on game? If so, how did they perform? I know in my testing the .45 Colt will easily sling 360s with great accuracy and they penetrate straight. Just curious. I would like to test such loads.

I've never used them on critters because I've had no need for bullets that heavy. However, the 355's were very accurate on paper. About 3" at 100yds out of a Bisley Hunter. Hopefully Dad will take his buck with the 355's in a couple weeks. I'll be using 355's, except in the .480.