I took Fezzik (my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45 Colt from Jack Huntington) on a walk this morning. Loaded up some light loads, or at least what I THOUGHT were light loads, and intended on bagging some rabbits and squirrels. Shot a rabbit about ten minutes into the hunt at just over 20 yards away, and there wasn't much left of him to take a picture of. I quit hunting this morning after I saw the carnage as I didn't want to waste any more small critters like that. Anaya will be happy with what is left, but I was planning on eating it myself, and there wasn't anything worth saving.

This brings me to my question...

I was only using 9gr of Titegroup under the 335gr hardcast for this load. It obviously obliterated the rabbit. I want a light load for small game hunting with this 45 Colt, but there has to be a better bullet / load. I used the 335gr hardcast because that is the only bullet I keep on hand. I usually hunt deer / elk / and bear, and this bullet is my choice for those quarries. However, it is obviously too much for small game, and this little revolver is such a joy to shoot, that I am now wanting to do more small game hunting with it on days that Anaya is taking a break.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.