Between a midsummer transition to a new role in my organization, record flooding in my area, and a commitment to some competitive shooting sports, my time afield has been nearly non-existent this hunting season. Pictures of early season success from friends through the area and region had me ready to go, and an annual pilgrimage to West Central Texas looked to be just the outing to kick start the season.

Dawn broke on a wet and cloudy firearms opener Saturday AM, after downpours and drizzle all night long. A wet spring provided lush, waist high cover on the ridge I was hunting, and the first deer appeared as just head and ears above the ground cover. Straining to glass the apparition, I caught movement behind the doe - a wide 8 point. I dropped the binos to verify location, and when I put them back up for a better look at the deer, it appeared he had grown...a good bit. I watched the wide and tall 9 for about 15 seconds, before I snapped back to the reality that I should be looking at this deer through the Leupold.

Binos down, gun up, quick guestimate on range and appropriate hold, and tracking the big buck as he picked his way across the prickly pear flat after his lady friend...they look so big going away. A pause at a quartering angle, safety off, and squeezing along with the breath...the recoil breaks the sight picture, but I believe I see the buck slumping as the big 230 gr Hybrid slams home.

Back on the gun, no movement on the gloomy flat, except a doe and a wide 8 point, intent on making off with his new girlfriend. Did he slip off, did I miss? A quick range of the last known spot - 197 yards.

I sit nervously for the next 3 hours, watching the morning unfold, does feeding across the ridge, bucks in hot (or at least lukewarm) pursuit. Did I really just squeeze off on a deer 5 minutes into a 5-day hunt? Yes, yes I did
\:\)

The big Berger Hybrid out of the Apache Machine 300WM anchored him right there, without taking a step.

With a good buck down, and the likelihood of taking a bigger buck slim, I concentrated on scouting for my buddies, targeting the varmints, and adding to the freezer.

One of the deer passed Day 2 through the spotter and Phone Skope.

Backstraps for the freezer - 7.5" Freedom Arms 44 @ 85 yards with the 240 gr XTP

Jalapeno turkey bites with the 10mm Glock - 26 yards with the 180 XTP

And to round it out, breaking in the Apache Machine 6mm Creedmoor on a song dog at 268 yards - 105 gr Berger Hybrid

With the full compliment of TX big game in the cooler, it came down to the last morning prior to flying home. I sat one of the stands on the bayou, where a couple of hogs had been taken earlier in the hunt, a proven performer on swine in past years. Sure enough, they were there...unfortunately on the neighbors property! Oh well, a fantastic trip, and a goal to recognize for the next visit!