First off, thank you all for your kind words.
\:\)

Originally Posted By: Zee
I'm glad the A-Max worked for you. Did it exit or stay in the deer? If it exited, what was the exit wound like? Hit any bone?

I found what was left of the bullet lodged in his ribcage on the opposite side. The estimated impact velocity was 2565 fps.

I think the only bone it hit was rib. Didn't see any evidence it hit his shoulder. We also found the jacket to the 150 grain SST my dad used out of his 300 Weatherby:

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
Congrat's, Chance. Good thing your cuz couldn't make it, eh ;-)

Well, I'm not disappointed he couldn't come. He might be, though.

Originally Posted By: wvhitman
Should have shot the doe. Now you'll never be able to experience shooting your first handgun buck again!!??
Way to go.

I can still look forward to my first handgun doe. Honestly, I really want a doe. That'll be much better eating.

Originally Posted By: rlb
So, did you make sure nobody filmed your "Happy Dance" for us to see later on youtube?

\:\(
Sorry everyone, no video. He would have been a good one to film, though. It's not like he was in a hurry, so I could have gotten the camera on him with little trouble. Hindsight's always 20/20.

When we were at the check in station, the three game wardens and about a half dozen other hunters came up to get a good look at our bucks. They all thought it was the coolest thing when I said I got him with a handgun at about 100 yards. One kid in particular was quite amazed when he found out you could even hunt with a handgun.

Edit: Almost forgot to add: While inspecting him, the game wardens determined he was a 4 1/2 year old. You don't see a mature buck like that everyday, especially here in Tennessee. I would have thought my sister's buck was older than this one, but hers was only 3 1/2.

Last edited by TN Lone Wolf; 11/21/2015 11:42 PM.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling