Not a fan of the Hogue Rubber Grios that come on the Ruger Super Redhawks. While able to tame recoil with soft rubber, they pale in comparison to wood and the finger grooves do not afford me a comfortable grip on the gun. So, last week I ordered a set of smooth Eagle Grips.

They arrived today and I installed them immediately.

Vast improvement in the looks department as far as I'm concerned. But, beyond looks, they are considerably more comfortable to grip and fit my hand noticeably better. A win all round in my book.

Decided to head to the range and try them out. Getting a velocity for the gun in the process. After setting up the chronograph, I saddled up behind it and fired off a round.

Two things I immediately noticed. One was the comfort and control afforded by the grip inspite of the harder wood as opposed to rubber. Second, was the piece of wood that fell on the bench. Interestingly.........it matched the exact wood of the grip.

Seems there was too much room in the inletting and the grips stayed put in my hand while the gun moved rearward in recoil. Causing the trigger guard to contact the undercut of the grip. Cracking one panel and breaking off a chunk of the other.

Well, that sucked!

Good news is that I immediately called Eagle Grips and spoke to a man named Bill. He apologized for the incident and told me to return them for a replacement set. Free of charge.

So, as much as I dislike the fact they broke, I'm glad Eagle stands by their product.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith