Finally got around to loading some heavy bullets for my Ruger SRH .454 Casull.

I've had a box of Matt's Bullets in 350gr RFN-GC for almost 2 years. I originally got them for my .460 S&W Encore pistol. But, that gun decidedly did NOT like them. So, they sat dormant until yesterday when I made some test loads for my Casull. Going off Hodgdon data for a 360gr gas checked bullet, I crammed in as much H110 as I could. Made 3 different loads to try out and ALL of them are quite compressed!

The book max for the 360gr bullet is 34.0gr H110 and I could barely seat a bullet on top of that much powder. Guess the bullet I'm using is a bit longer than the one they used. Who knows?

33.0gr
33.5gr
34.0gr

Hit the range this afternoon and immediately realized...........I forgot to bring my pistol rest. CRAP!!!!

Well, necessity is the mother of invention. So, I used my target stand and two of my rear bags to make a pistol rest.

It would have to do. Then, I clipped the target to the 50 yard backer and lined up the chronograph.

Pulled the trigger on the first round of 33.0gr H110 and...........WOW! That was a hand full! Not painful, due to the absorbing Hogue grip, but incredibly vigorous. However, the first load didn't produce the group I was interested in. So, I went for the 33.5gr load next.

.6" for three shots at 50 yards?!? With a muzzle velocity of 1,640 fps from a 7.5" barrel? That'll work!!!!

I was hesitant to try the 34.0gr load, but went for it anyway.

1.194" @ 1,653 fps wasn't enough increase in velocity to justify the decrease in accuracy and increase in smoke (very dirty load). So, the 33.5gr load won the coin toss.

I am now ready for................just about anything.

I'll transition my 300gr WFN-GC loads to usage in my .454 Casull Bisley and use these 350gr loads in the Super Redhawk. No, I am NOT going to try these loads in my Bisley. It's enough of a handful with the 300gr loads.

There is absolutely no need for this load with anything I regularly hunt. But, that's not the point........is it? It's just stupid fun to have a load I could hunt any game animal on the planet with.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith