I've been messing with this Match Grade Machine barrel in .35 Remington for QUITE some time. I've been using 200gr RN factory ammo from PMC that was from the early 90s and the same from Remington. No matter what I tried, the accuracy was unacceptable and the PMC ammo was blowing the action open.

I even sent the barrel back to MGM to have the throat lengthened as about every other PMC round would hit the lands. Even after lengthening the chamber, I'd get a blown action and a literal ring of copper fall out of chamber after firing a few rounds. This.......was unacceptable results.

I really wanted the PMC ammo to work as I had 90 rounds of it. No dice.

I finally found some Hornady brass and made up some test loads utilizing H4198 and the Hornady 180gr XTP bullet. Hit the range this afternoon........

......and got the results I've been waiting over a year for!!!!

That's a .285" group at almost 2,000 fps!!!! And the action didn't blow open!!!!

Hornady states the velocity threshold of this bullet as being 900-1,700 fps. Obviously pushing it a little faster than that. But, I've seen the XTP perform WAY outside it's threshold on several occasions. So, I'm not worried.

I am however, considerably happy to finally be getting the results I desired from this old cartridge. Yet another .35cal in the fold. Lord, I love that caliber.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith