Next up was the CVA Scout in .243 Winchester.

Even though it has a 1-10" twist barrel, I decided to try my 105gr A-Max loads in it first. Just for laughs.

Set the target at 50 yards and bore sighted the scope. Fired a round and adjusted the scope. Moved the target to 100 yards and saw what appeared to be a slightly sideways bullet hole that resulted from the 50 yard shot. I didn't have high hopes for 100 yards.

Fired three at 100 and yep...........a pattern.

Switched to some 95gr SST loads I made years ago. And.............another pattern. Albeit, a smaller one.

Last load I had with me the 87gr V-Max hand loads that shoot so exceptionally well in my rifles. Maybe...........just maybe...........

And............

That .321" three shot group in the bottom left surprised the crap out of me!!!!! This is $300 pistol with a factory set 2.5 pound trigger and all I did to it was clean/lap the barrel and mount a scope. Are you kidding me?!?

That's not even a load made for the gun! But, I'll take it!

Recoil is minimal. Even without a brake. But, with the scope I have mounted.......it ain't no lightweight.

The grip feels fine while shooting. Only complaint is the trigger guard and that extended lever to release the action. It's long and too close to the grip. Preventing a two hand grip on the gun. I had to modify the way I hold the gun on the rest and haven't really found a comfortable. I'll keep messing with that.

Now that I have fired cases, I'm going to measure the throat and work up some loads with the 85gr Sierra BTHP-GameKing. That is my go to lightweight bullet for hunting with the .243 Winchester. It has performed exceptionally well in both my .243s and my 6x45 AR. I have no doubt it'll work equally well in this pistol.

It's crazy how well the 87gr V-Max shoots. I don't even varmint hunt! It's just a target bullet for me and works well for head shots on deer (took one that way last year).

I've NO regrets buying this gun. Hell, CVA..........if you're listening........build one in .308 Winchester and I'll buy it right now!!!

Only change I think I'll make..........I do think I'll mount that 2-7x Vortex scout scope I have coming. Just to make the gun handier to use in the field. But, I'll leave the Leupold on during load development.

If if you've ever considered buying the CVA Scout pistol............DO IT!!!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith