On day 5, we hunted a completely different area. We saw few buffalo that morning before breaking for lunch. After lunch, we set out on foot for a stalk along a nearby creek.

It wasn't long before Peter spotted a buffalo cow walking in the tall grass. We froze and began glassing the area for other buffalo. We slowly moved forward and before long we spotted a group of buffalo lying in a wallow to escape the mid-day heat. We used the topography of the land to approach the sleeping buffalo and were within 10 yards of them when one of them slowly stood up and stared at us. We froze in our tracks and she began walking toward us, trying to figure out what we were. Peter began calling and all of the buffalo in the group slowly stood up, including a bull a mere 10-15 yards away.

I thought that the bull was a shooter but Peter insisted that he was too young to take so we just watched as they huffed, stomped the ground, and slowly walked out of sight. We slowly made our way up the creek and had several more encounters with females and juveniles but no more bulls.

As the evening approached, we decided to head back to the area once again where we had seen the old broomed-horn bull. Along the way, I spotted a boar on my side of the road and I yelled "Pig"! The vehicle skidded to a stop and Peter slowly backed up and I bailed out of the vehicle. The hog was walking away from me as I squeezed off a shot. He appeared to be hit but he took off running and I fired a warning shot, missing him completely. He turned broadside and stopped. I put the Ultradot on his right shoulder and slowly squeezed off a shot. He dropped on the spot with a high shoulder shot.

We stood over the boar and waited and waited for him to expire but he just kept blinking his eyes. Finally I could take no more and I put the barrel of the 454 Casull up to his ear and pulled the trigger.

We had time to check out one additional area and saw several more buffalo and a sow with a litter of shoats but no shooter buffalo bulls. It had been another fantastic day!