According to Greek mythology, the skilled craftsman Daedalus fabricated wings from wax and feathers so that he and his son Icarus could escape captivity by flying away from the island of Crete. Unfortunately Icarus became overconfident and flew too close to the sun. This triggered a trajic chain of events after the wax that held Icarus' feathers melted and he tumbled to his death into the sea. Like Icarus, on my last day in Australia overconfidence also caused me to tumble (although on a much less tragic scale) from the high that I had experienced during the previous day's successful hunts.

After heading out on the last day, we encountered another hog not far from camp. Again, the vehicle skidded to a stop and I bailed out, put the red dot on the hog's shoulder, and quickly fired two shots. I then opened up my ammo holder and reloaded the revolver. I thought that I had hit the hog but he gave little reaction. What happened next is a little fuzzy but I chased him a long way and fired...well, let's just say "many" shots at him. As I fired at him, the dust boiled up in the ground below the hog's feet. About the time that I ran the revolver dry, the hog grew tired of me chasing him and he turned to face me and began popping his teeth. I reached down to reload and discovered that during the chase my spare ammo had fallen out of the ammo carrier.

I then noticed that I was all alone. I later learned that Peter had gone back to retrieve the vehicle and he was tracking his poor-shooting client by the volley of gunfire erupting from the Super Redhawk. When Peter caught up with me, I asked to borrow his rifle since I was now out of ammo. I aligned the front bead and the notch of the express rear sight of Peter's 375 H&H just behind the hog's left shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. The hog dropped at the shot.

Humble pie had been served and I felt like a complete rookie. I was so thankful that this performance had come on the last animal of the hunt instead of the first! My confidence had been destroyed and I was almost relieved that we saw no more hogs and "O" buffalo on our last hunting day.

Notwithstanding the last day's events, I had an incredible hunt in Australia. As I stated earlier in this thread, I booked the hunt with Hunt Australia but I wound up hunting with Goodhand Outdoor Experience and I would highly recommend them to anyone.