Finally got my Vortex Venom and mounted it on top of my Glock 40 MOS. Plan was to utilize the sight for night hunting. But, even though Vortex said the dot would work..........they were wrong. It's too bright. No matter. It'll work for daytime.

Headed to the range today to sight the gun in with the .40 S&W barrel for HD and then verify POI with the 10mm barrel for hunting. Buuuuuuuuuuuut............at the range.........I realized I forgot to bring the 10mm barrel. Oh well. So, I set up to zero the .40 S&W barrel at 25 yards.

The sight works well in the daytime. The dot is nice and small but quick to locate. Being more precise than iron sights, any movement of vibration is considerably more noticeable than iron sights and somewhat disconcerting when you're staring through an optic at a bouncing red ball. Of a bench though, the tiny dot is AWESOME!

I messed around with the sight and finally got it zeroed at 25 yards. Then, I moved up to 7 & 10 yards to confirm POI.

The Venom comes with faux rear sight bars at the back of the optic that I didn't know about. This is a blessing as the optic is too tall to use a slide mounted rear sight. But, since the front sight I have on the gun is exceptionally tall as well, I am able utilize the rear sight bars on the Venom to functionally perform a "Dead Dot Drill" at least within 10 yards in case the sight ever goes down. To do so, I just place the fiber optic dot of the front sight between and on top of the rear sight bars.

So, after performing a "Dead Dot Drill" to confirm impact, I moved the target back to 50 yards. The first group was a little right, so I adjusted the optic 2 clicks and fired as second group. Good to go.

I really like this red dot. The clicks are positive and the on button brings the dot to an immediate usable brightness which will work well in the home. The dot plooms a little in low light, but it's not an issue in daylight.

Wish it could have worked at night, but I have now ordered a Crimson Trace Laser for the night time hunting work. I'll get back out and confirm POI with the 10mm barrel and my 180gr XTP loads. Look out piggies!!!!

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith