So I picked up a 45-70 Encore last spring and spend the summer and early fall getting tuning it up and developing a load. I took it out last weekend for opening deer season here in Minnesota and connected with a nice doe at ~ 120 yards with a double lung shot. It was a bit farther back then I wanted, but worked well. She only traveled ~ 40 yards before piling up.

Since getting the pistol (stock), I installed a rubber grip and added a muzzle break (total length 15", ~13.5 barrel length) which tamed the recoil. I added a new forend, swapped trigger springs (2 lb pull, down from 4) and polished some surfaces. It is launching 300gn Barnes TTXS at ~ 1800 fps and groups ~2 inches at 100 yards.

The deer and pistol

The bullet passed between ribs on the way in. It ripped up the lungs and the top of the liver before exiting closer to the offside shoulder. The exit wound was ~ 1.5" in diameter. Based on the amount of blood, I probably hit some big vessels. Below is a pic of the entrance side lung showing the results of the bullet pedals opening as they entered the lung.

All in all, happy with the gun and load performance.

Last edited by karl; 11/07/2016 11:13 PM.