Last year, I shot a big boar with my TC Contender and 10" .357 Mag barrel using 180gr XTP. Since then, I've tried on a few occasions to take something with my 6" GP-100 and 158gr XTP handloads to no avail. Well, I had a cull planned with my Rancher Friend this afternoon. Before I headed out his way, I asked if he minded me using my .357 Mag to take a doe. He said, "I don't care if you use a knife!" To which I replied that I'd already done that.

So, this afternoon we headed out to the typical spot on the knoll and corned the road as we usually do. This time, he threw some corn much closer as well. The road is about 60 yards away and about my max I was willing to shoot with the red dot and 6" Mag. The nearest shot would be about 25 yards.

We settled in to wait in the fine mist and cool temps.

The first two to show up were this button buck and 8 pointer.

After a little while, several smaller yearlings and bucks filtered out of the brush.

Then, an older doe came out and eventually worked her way to about 30 yards. I aimed in on her but held my fire as she was quartering towards me and I didn't want to hit her in the shoulder. When she finally turned broadside, she started walking and I held fire again. Eventually a smaller buck chased her off to my right and out of sight/range. No worries, there would be more.

More bucks showed up.

Including this beast!

Who was quite interested in just about every doe on the planet!

More deer filtered in and I saw several coming from my hard right, across the pasture form another hill. There path took them below and to the right of my knoll and out of sight. But, I knew they were coming as the smaller deer in front kept looking their way. Finally, just below the grass/ridge line and from my right, a big doe walks into view. I discreetly point at her and my friend gives me the go ahead.

I aim in at her as she clears the grass but, as she does so.........she spots me as well and freezes. Eyes and ears locked on our position she is quartering towards me again and frozen at 27 yards. Hoping for a broadside wasn't going to happen. I figured she would bolt at any moment, so I put the dot on the point of her shoulder and sent the 158gr Hornady XTP crashing into her.

At the shot, she hunched up and lurched forward. Deer scattered and she ran to my left. As she ran, I noticed her front left leg hanging limp at the shoulder (point of impact). She runs in a arch as I aim in on her again. I contemplate shooting again as I begin to wonder about my shot. But, her leg isn't working...........she's staggering..........surely the bullet penetrated her shoulder!!! Fear of shallow penetration with the shot enter my mind, but I brush it away. I'm confident in my shot.

This all happens in a matter of seconds as she completes her semi-circle and enters the brush with another doe behind her. I lose sight of my deer in the brush, but the doe behind her stops abruptly just inside the brush. Staring in front of her for a few seconds, she finally bolts to her left and disappears. I reason that my doe fell just inside the brush and in front of the other doe. Causing her to stop and stare.

With everything gone, I stand up and walk across the draw to where I saw my deer enter the brush. A few steps in and I see blood on the trail. Then, about 7 yards into the brush, I see her tail on the ground. A few more steps and her body comes into view.

Here is her location at the shot. Then, her path as she ran. Falling at the "star".

She ran approximately 90 yards after the shot.

I left her where she lay and walked back up on the knoll. I had my CVA Scout Pistol in .243 Winchester with me and we were going to try and shoot another doe. So, we waited.

After about 45 minutes, deer began to filter back into the draw and feed. This time, the axis came out as well. Probably about 20 axis in all.

Between the deer and the axis, the valley filled up pretty quickly. But, no solo mature does came out. So, nothing to shoot. Eventually, a few axis worked their way to about 15 yards and finally pegged us. A loud "BARK" later and the valley emptied once again.

The hunt was officially over.

I walked over and recovered my deer where she lay.

The bullet had entered the point of her left shoulder, bisected the chest cavity, and lodged under the skin in a lump on the off side.

We drug her out of the brush and loaded her on the Mule. My first animal with a .357 Mag revolver. I was a happy camper!!!

I'm going to bed. I'll post the science tomorrow.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith