Need some help on reloads.

The last two large (300+) hogs I shot with a SRH in 44 Mag. 240gr XTP with 23.5gr H110. I'm guessing 14-1500fps.

Both hogs were one-shot stops. First was a spine shot, second through the heart. Spine shot at less than 20 yards, heart shot at less than 50 yards. In both hogs, the jacket separated from the lead core. The jacket was recovered in the hog, the lead core was not recovered. Spine shot was not through, but down from a tree stand, no visible exit wound. Heart shot pig had a nice big hole on the exit side, I'm assuming from the lead core.

Am I loading too fast or not fast enough? Is it really a problem that the jacket separated (on pigs)? Both were one-shot kills, spine shot obviously dropped instantly, heart shot ran about 50 yards with a destroyed heart.

My first hog kill was about a 200lb hog, relatively same load with Nosler bonded. The bonded did not expand, but was recovered in the hog.

Obviously, the bullet "worked" in all cases, but if I want to hunt larger dangerous game (buffalo, bear, etc.) is it acceptable to stick with my load and the XTP?

I want to go to hard cast eventually, but do I really have a problem with jacket separation, and is it user error???

NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
NRA RSO
NRA Shotgun Coach Level I
IN DNR/4H Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Pistol Instructor