Compared to most of yall, I'm still a newbie on handgun hunting. Please don't take my questions as smart-A, or "stirring the pot", as they are just genuinely trying to learn from those with more experience than I. Since I started hunting with a handgun, I have used a Ruger 44, with xtp bullets. I haven't managed to find a separated jacket yet. Am I pushing them too slow? The load I'm using is exactly the same as listed in the OP. Obviously I don't have hundreds of kills and I don't get to hunt much of anything bigger than southern whitetail deer.
What would constitute "bullet failure"?
OP stated that both bullets suffered separation, but both animals were recovered in short order.
We know that every animal is a different reaction, but is there a notable difference between time shot/time expired if you were using similar weight 260gr WFN and 240gr xtp? Given roughly the same weight deer, and same high shoulder placement?
One of these days, I'm going to shoot some hogs, and get me a bear with my 44 when schedule allows. I'd like to have a "jack of all trades" load.
The xtp is very accurate, inexpensive, and unless I suffered "placement failure", I have had great success with them dropping deer in very short times, if not drt. I can't blame the bullet for my not putting it in the right place. All that being said, I'm never not open to improving what I can. The xtp seems to get loved or hated, not a lot of middle ground with it.