I am launching 250gr XTP bullets out of my .460 S&W at 2,400 fps with rather devastating effects on deer. Impact velocities a little less than that. They expand almost flat, but the internal damage is rather catastrophic and the bullets have held together.

On the same token, I am launching 240gr XTP bullets out of my .430 SJS at a muzzle velocity up to 2,400 fps as well and it's decidedly finishing pigs. The only recovered bullet was flat but held together. The rest have exited with nice large holes.

My .445 Super Mag pushes the 240gr XTP at 1,700 fps and shattered the on side shoulder bone of a doe. Actually embedding a large chunk of bone in the lead of the bullet. Internal damage was acceptable. This one did separate after penetrating from the quartering to shoulder, through the lungs, and lodging in the liver. Acceptable penetration to me considering the bone it destroyed on impact.

They wouldn't be my first choice for large game. But, I have pushed the XTP in .44 and .45 calibers past the recommended velocity threshold and had good results on deer and hogs.

I'm pleased.

Edit: Looking back at my pictures, I see that one of the deer taken with the .460 S&W resulted in jacket separation of the 250gr XTP. But, this was likely a result of the on side shoulder bone being shattered on impact as with the .445 SM deer. The bullet passed through the quartering towards deer and the separated jacket and core lodged in the hide (breaking the skin) on the off side.

Last edited by Zee; 12/14/2016 4:36 AM.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith