Originally Posted By: Craig44
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
How is it like the Keith load? Different caliber, different weight-for-caliber, hugely different nose profile. If they both go 1,200 fps then that is the only similarity I can draw between them. I don't understand the correlation.

The velocity is actually in a good range for cast bullets.

Same weight for caliber and same velocity. Same application. Substitute a same-weight WFN/LFN for the Keith bullet, it doesn't matter. There is no magic that makes the 10mm a better dangerous game load. IMHO, neither qualify. If the 10mm is good for Cape buffalo then why do we even need .44's, .45's, .475's and .500's? All this does is lend credibility to the nut jobs like Dobbs who think the 10mm is the be-all, end-all of handgun performance. I would use the .44Mag but it wouldn't be my first choice either. The 10mm is like sending a toddler to do a man's job.

It does matter. The bullet is everything. If the 10mm is like sending a toddler to do a man's work, I could make the argument that the .44 Mag is also a toddler. Neither are impressive on really big game, but loaded properly they both will do adequately. The only calibers I have used and seen used on big animals that were actually impressive started with a .5.....but I digress.

Seriously guys, I know we all have some preconceived notions and we have our favorites and our least favorites. Try to push that all aside and simply look at the mechanics here. Draw a straight line to the animal's vitals. It your bullet is capable of traveling that straight line and reaching that goal, you have enough, by definition. Again, I'm not rethinking what I do or getting ready to trade my cold steel for plastic, but if paid enough and/or challenged, I would slay dragons with the 10mm -- as long as it is loaded properly (there goes that caveat once again).

One more time: As long as you can put the bullet in the right place, and as long as your chosen bullet will track straight and deep, a dead animal will be the result irrespective of the size of the animal. As long as those conditions are met, any given caliber will succeed in bringing home the bacon, beef, whatever.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s