Ok, I've just been watching from the side lines, but the football ref was too much. I just ran the TKO numbers on a 108mph fastball (150) vs my 45-70 load (34). Guess I'm going to go polish up my fast pitch and put all pesky guns away.

The world changes, technology and knowledge evolve and improve. It's our job to examine the options, look at the EVIDENCE hold opinion at arm's length and make informed decisions that should change over time as technology and knowledge change. Things that don't change tend to go the way of the dodo.

There have been tremendous strides in bullet development recently, that imho have largely been driven by monometals coupled with supporting technological advances (manufacturing, deform-able materials computer modeling), legal requirements and recognition of the public health dangers of chronic lead exposure.

We have to remember that the Minie ball was developed ~170 years ago, shortly before the 1850s (Roughly 5-6 generations ago) How much adapting and changing do you think your firearm bearing forefathers had to go through between then and now and who are we to think we have reached the end-all be-all pinnacle of firearm development?

Beyond the omnipresent resistance to all things "new", this whole discussion smells a bit like the reasoning that convinced everyone that they needed at least a 30-06 Springfield to shoot a white tail deer at 50 yards.

Anyone want to pitch in a few $ to send Zee a some of the Underwood 10mm Xtreme bullets so he can gather some evidence for the rest of us?