There are enough guys here with experience killing stuff to know that using a 10mm on Cape buffalo is not the best idea and I agree with them. Cape buffalo are not bison or some other sort of semi-wild cow. Furthermore, unless I'm missing someone, there are only three of us on this thread that have actually hunted and killed Cape buffalo with a handgun. I won't speak for anyone else who has hunted buffalo but I would NEVER use a 10mm.

Even with a well placed shot these things will soak up a lot of lead. I suppose it depends on where you're hunting but it's not like they are standing around out in the open waiting for you to come by and start shooting. If you're hunting by tracking/stalking, consider yourself damn lucky if you can get within 50 yards and have an opening for a shot. It's usually thick - very thick and you're also unlikely to get a 2nd shot into the animal initially. They are most often in a herd and when the shot goes off there are buffalo running everywhere and you can't tell which one is yours even if you're good enough to hit a running buff with your handgun. I've been within 50 yards of buffalo many times and unable to see the target well enough to take a shot. From my experience the problem is not generally hitting the buffalo it's doing enough damage with the first shot that he doesn't want to run into the next territory and if you thought it was thick or rough country before he was shot, wait until you see where he goes after you've hit him.

In 2015 there were 2 PH's killed by buffalo. For you guys that went on that watusi hunt recently how much shooting did it take to kill them? Now imagine that they want to kill you and that they are 10x tougher than a watusi. Cape buffalo are one big muscle and until you've been up close and personal with one you cannot understand.

I am not disparaging what Razor did with his 10mm. I don't know anything about the hunt or the situation. I'm simply saying I would not have done it with that cartridge.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.