Originally Posted By: Gary
There are enough guys here with experience killing stuff to know that using a 10mm on Cape buffalo is not the best idea and I agree with them. Cape buffalo are not bison or some other sort of semi-wild cow. Furthermore, unless I'm missing someone, there are only three of us on this thread that have actually hunted and killed Cape buffalo with a handgun. I won't speak for anyone else who has hunted buffalo but I would NEVER use a 10mm.

That shot was directed at me, wasn't it? Gary, there are a number of us who have shot bovines in the 1,400 to 2,000-lb category, and I think our opinions are credible enough to weigh in on this discussion. The fact is that Razor Dobbs was actually shooting the lighter 200 grain hardcast load and required one shot to bring down the first Cape buffalo. And then used two shots (same load) for the second. Obviously how you hunt them will also dictate how the animal reacts. Razor took both animals from a blind and evidently they were unaware. Three of my four water buffalo were alert to my intentions when I approached on the ground -- the way I like hunting them, not from a distance with a scope. In two years and on two separate occasions I saw Watusi get aggressive with humans. That is a pretty high percentage of aggressive animals. If the Cape buffalo is truly such a tough animal to hunt and so dangerous (I realize this comment will seem heretical to some here), how many times have you been charged? Case in point, one of these "semi-wild" cows as you so disdainfully refer to Watusis as, actually came for me at spitting distance and I had to put it down with an iron-sighted revolver. Not a Cape buffalo definitely, but I would rather deal with a dust cloud and retreating Cape buffalo than even a Jersey milk cow hellbent on my demise.

Now in the spirit of disclosure, how many Cape buffalo have you all shot, and how many water buffalo? What other bovines? Bison, yak, etc.?

You know, I don't think they make Cape buffalo this big.....

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s