I was like the OP. I was involved in archery tournaments and bow hunting for years before I went my first time with a long gun. Went on my first rifle deer / elk hunt, and had both tags filled less than 30 minutes apart from each other. That, to me, wasn't hunting. All I had to be able to do was see the critter, and it was a done deal. I wanted to get close, like I did with bow hunting. I was burned out on archery, tried the rifle thing, then ended up with revolvers. I am now using a flintlock, but believe me, the revolver side of me is still alive and well. I'll never let go of hunting with revolvers.

I guess it's because I like doing things the hard way. I like to build fire with a flint and steel. Anyone can use a match. I like to use the flintlock for the same reason. Anyone can shoot a rifle, but try getting a 2" group at 100 yards with a flintlock. Not so easy. Even harder with a revolver without optics for me.

Handgun hunting is something I can ALWAYS improve on. And I like the reloading aspect of it as well.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.