It all started for me with the 1960 issue of Outdoor life,
and a Pioneer Handgun Hunter named Al Goerg.
I read that article thru and thru several times,
I then ordered a signed copy of his book,
which was read cover to cover numerous times.
The seed was planted and quickly grew from there.

Started with a Ruger Single Six, 22 LR/22 Mag dual cylinders and the then new Bushnell Phantom scope being hawked. Got one after saving the funds from my paper route, mounted it and I was in hog heaven.

Grey Digger ground squirrels were fair game at any time, found out real quick, the Phantom scope mount didn't work too well in holding a zero, off to the local gun shop to see what could adapted to make it work, no dice, nothing would work.

Local gunsmith listened to what I wanted to do,
he stated that "I have the perfect rig for you" and pulled out a Ruger Auto, 4" bbl, 22 LR,
to show me, but no scope was on it.
After I explained to him I wanted it scoped, he said no problem,
what about a Weaver Long base scope mount T/D into the frame?
You can mount the scope to it and still have the iron sights etc.

The light bulb just got a lot brighter......

I explained to him that I would have to make payments on the Ruger and for the gunsmithing work etc. He said OK.

Every month I made a payment, after a couple months of hard work on the paper route and picking up any or all glass bottles I could get my hands on (2 to 5 cent bounty per bottle),
my Ruger Auto and gun work was payed off and a couple of boxes of ammo was thrown in by the gunsmith.

Went home and told mom what I had just bought, she said, OK and be safe with it.
(I found out later that the gunsmith had talked to my mom about the Ruger pistol and they had talked it over etc, sneaky Mom).

After several months of burning ammo at the Grey Diggers,
I found that they were mostly safe out past 50-75 yards with the iron sights.

Back to the gun shop and explaining to the smith that I needed scope on the Ruger for better long range shooting.

No pistol scope were available except the Phamtom scope.
I told him I had a scope, but could not get it mounted,
"Bring it in and I'll see what I can do".

Several days later, he called and said to come pick up the pistol.
He adapted a Weaver rings to fit the scope and mount.
After zeroing, pop cans and Grey Diggers were not safe out to 100yds.

1964 and a new XP-100, 221 Fireball was added with a 2x scope,
Grey Diggers, Jack Raqbbits and Yeller Dogs didn't stand a chance
out past 200yds.

Fast forward to 1969 and a New Colt Trooper 357 Mag, 6" bbl,
was in my hot grubbies with a Leupold 2x scope mounted on the bbl.
Wild hogs were fair game then, along with a couple of Black Bears treed by my friends hounds.

Then a Ruger Blackhawk 30 Carbine and a Ruger Hawkeye, 256 were added,
all scoped and being used on any critter legal to shoot, I could get in my sights.

Numerous wild hogs and feral goats were laid to rest and brought home for the dinner table along with untold number of Grey tree squirrels and Cottontail rabbits thrown in.

Forward to 1973, moved to NV has a Govt Hunter and Trapper, as the ADC work in Calif shut down.
Nv did not at that time legalize handgun hunting,
Rick Brigham, Fred Hersey and I legalize handgun hunting in 1973.

Numerous Mule deer were taken by us, for the next several years.

Then I finally drew a Nelson Desert sheep tag in 1980,
Using a TC 6mm Ugalde pistol, 14" bbl, I took the first legal Desert sheep, BC score of 168+".

In 1982, I drew a Antelope (speed goat tag), which scored 86-6/8 BC score, using a Ugalde XP-100 pistol, 15" bbl in 250 Savage.

Every year for the next few years, Mule deer were the main targets, as I don't have very good luck in drawing trophy tags.

In 2013, I finally drew a Bull Elk tag, using a SP Rem pistol, 284 w a 18", a very nice 6x6 bull, 360"+ score was taken, along with a 29"+ cheater Mule deer.

In 2014, I drew a cow elk tag and filled it using the SP 284 pistol along with a nice 4x4 Mulie.

If I live long enough,
I hope to draw a Calif and Rocky Mtn sheep along with a Mtn Goat tag, to fill a NV Grand Slam of all it's Trophy Big Game animals.

In the mean time, Rock Chucks, Jack Rabbits, Pop Guts (squirrels) and Yeller Dogs are still fair game usings pistols.

Tia,
Don

"Any person that fears me owning a firearm, I have reason to fear that person."
NRA Lifer
---------------------------------------------
"When the pavement ends, the fun begins."