Yes, I should have been clearer I guess. The vast majority of hunters only hunt deer, specifically whitetail as their "big game" and frankly, deer don't take a lot of "killing".

My guiding experience has taught me that the average client (actually MORE motivated to be weapons proficient than the "average Joe Hunter") does not practice enough with his weapon, any weapon, to be really proficient with it, and rifles are easier to master than a hot 357, or any of the real big bores (I think serious stuff STARTS a 4 in the name.) You ever offer to let some guy at the range take a few shots with your 475 or 500, did they demure? Yep, no takers, they do "just fine" with a 8 to 10 pound 270, 25-06, 243 and god forbid the guys that kill a couple of dozen southern whitetail does every year with a 223 and think it works on "big game" Hopefully, that's where they will do the least amount of damage to the reputation of hunters as louts that wound game because if it doesn't recoil they might shoot it enough to place their shots reasonably well at distances under 200 yards.

Elk in black timber with a 243 or my 454? 454 every time, and frankly I'd actually prefer my 9.3x62 with 286gr Partitions, on a purely technical basis. I know that I can get her done with the 454 and a really good handgun is a joy to work with in any close quarters situation IF you have the skills. Called black bear at dead close range, handgun heaven, or shidt your shorts country for even many experienced "clients".

Have Fun! I know I will!