Hello all. I just registered after a few days of reading various posts and generally enjoying the site.

I retired a little over a year ago and moved to the low country of SC. I spent my first hunting season here in the nearby swamps and marshlands. I knew my old Model 70 30-06 was not ideal for the thick brush so I got a Henry 30-30 lever action. Great rifle but I have decided to hunt with a revolver this year.

I hunt only public land and with our regs that means I can hunt hogs and deer at the same time. In fact, given the weapon rules, as a practical matter I can only hunt hogs when I hunt deer. So, I decided my 357 GP100, which I had planned to use on deer, was not enough and bought a used S&W 629 with a 6.5 inch barrel. After a few range trips, I think the 44 magnum will be enough even if I run into a large hog. I have already spent a good deal of time reading posts here on the proper hog load for a .44 magnum. I do reload.

I am an old rookie. Old because I am 68. A rookie because I have hunted with bow, flintlock, shotgun and rifle, but only a couple of times with a handgun and I did not get any shots on those occasions.

I look forward to learning from all the information on this site.