I have always been a big proponent of GOOD hardcast bullets for all types of game and have used them successfully on all manner of game. I have found that those critical of their use typically have a very limited exposure/experience with GOOD flat-nosed hardcast bullets. Many often make the mistake of over-driving cast bullets thinking more velocity is the answer to quick kills and that with cast bullets is a recipe for disaster. I am oversimplifying, but we have discussed this ad nausea on this site (and others) and I find it somewhat tedious at this stage. I've dedicated chapters to this topic in two books.....

That said, revolvers will never achieve rifle-like velocities. So, working within the limited parameters (read: limits) of a revolver, hardcast bullets work well. If you don't push them too hard, they will penetrate deeply, and break bones along the way. Like Dick pointed out, heavy for caliber is a good idea for deep penetration, not limiting your shot angles. I will continue to use quality hardcast bullets of some game animals. That said....

We have come a long way on the jacketed expanding bullet front and I am going to lump monolithic expanding bullets into this category for the sake of discussion. I don't consider XTPs or even Mag XTPs to be premium bullets. I watched utter and complete failure back to back with Mag XTPs last October and it was enough to give me cause for pause. They are fine bullets for deer and some hogs, but when the target gets tough, I want something that will hold together no matter what. For that, you are hard pressed to do better than the Swift A-frame. They are tough and hold together well and don't over expand. Another bullet I have trouble finding fault with is the Barnes XPB. This is a bullet that is as tough as nails.

Last year, in Hondo, Texas, at Action Outdoor Adventures, where we gather to live test bullets/loads/calibers on large animals, I saw numerous bullet failures -- both of the cast and jacketed variety. Granted, this is an extreme test by anyone's measure, but that is precisely why we do it. Will hardcast bullets work on really big animals? Yes indeed. I killed a really big (2,000 lbs) water buffalo a couple of years ago with hardcast bullets and they worked admirably, but if you have a big trophy fee on the line, and/or (and more importantly) your own butt is on the line, I want a bullet that will punch deep and straight no matter what resistance it encounters. In this case I don't want an expanding bullet, or a hardcast bullet, I want something along the lines of a Punch bullet. It has all of the good characteristics of a quality hardcast flat-nosed bullet, without any of the negatives -- like a material that has a limited ability to maintain its nose shape. When you are on the ground, and close -- no, very close to this (see photo below), it's no time to skimp on quality or cost.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s