If your load is above minimum and below maximum published data you are safe with the usual caveat that each gun is different. I have used that load for many years with no issues in my .44 mag Redhawk. 296 doesn't need 100% loads to be safe. It needs loads at minimum published data to avoid detonation which is a saftey issue for sure. Having said that .. 296 performs close to or at 100% of published data for uniform combustion. 296 performs well up to 100% of published load data but that is where you reach maximum pressure and don't want to exceed the envelope for saftey reasons again. This why you should start at or slightly above the minimum and increase charge in increments watching for pressure signs in YOUR particular gun. The closer you get to the top the less performance increase(velocity) you will achieve. My experience has been with multiple calibers that accuracy and performance are excellent just short of the top charge. I have experimented with loads above the max charge in strong handguns and found that I was in the area of diminishing returns.

Have fun and shoot straight!

Last edited by FA834ME; 05/28/2017 1:09 PM.