I would like some opinions on what handgun-optic set up would be best for the following situation.

I have some friends who go "Up North" in November to hunt whitetailed deer. That means? they head to Maine or northern New Hampshire. The woods tend to be thick and somewhat mixed although when you get to Maine they tend to be mostly conifers.

There is a type of hunting that some do in Northern New England and promoted by the late Larry Benoit, a famous New England hunter, where you follow a track in the snow and you pursue and stalk your deer. He and his family are rather well known? for taking huge deer in some of the most remote regions of Maine and Ontario( although that area would be off limits for us handgunners) . I kneow some who will follow a track and then using some small binoculars spot ahead through the woods and then proceed a few feet. Kind of really slow stalking or what you can properly call " still hunting" a very slow, methodical walk with the intent of looking for deer. You hope to see them before they see you.

The most commonly used firearm is a peep sighted pump action rifle. Some have the same set up but with a red dot sight.

I am thinking, 'what type of hunting pistol would be best for this style of hunting?"

Off the top of my head, I am thinking a Smith? and Wesson M 29 with a Burris Fast Fire 3. Nice, lightweight and would be good for what can be a quick shot.

I would really like to hear from the group. Thanks