Originally Posted By: FA834ME
I agree. My first choice would be 2400 for a reduced load in cases from .44 on up. I am more interested in the comment freedom475 made about downloading 296. I remember warnings about downloading/detonation issues when I started loading 296 30 + years ago. Tomorrow I will contact Winchester and see what they have to say about this. This post is not meant to start an argument. It has promted me to see if I need to relearn something I have accepted as fact for a long time.It's that OCD thing. I need to know . . . . . .

I do know that detonation has NEVER been able to be induced in the lab. And if pressure generated from 25 grains of H110 won't break your gun...10 grains sure won't!..stay with me here, this will make sense in a second..I hope? lol

You can't call Winchester, you will have to call Hodgdon... and I highly doubt you will be able to extract much technical data from the lady that answers the phone...but I do look forward to your next post.

I spent some time with the ballistics technician from Western Powders and one really cool thing he taught me was that everything that happens to build pressure in a straight wall pistol case occurs BEFORE the bullet breaks the crimp.

What was most interesting about this teaching, was that John Linebaugh himself, leaned over our shoulders and said "What are you saying!!??, Well this changes everything we have all been lead to believe about H110 and barrel length!"

The look on the patriarch, master gun builders face was encouraging and humbling, to say the least...if he can still learn something new...there might hope for the rest of us!..lol

But the proof was right there in front us with the computer time-to-pressure data sheets.

Many (still) think that we need a long(er) barrel to burn "slower" pistol powder (W296 etc.) This is totally False information.

Any powder that burns after the bullet breaks the crimp, is just on fire. And does NOTHING to increase pressure. You will only build pressure in the case/cylinder...this is why we blow cylinders and top straps off our revolvers, instead of rupturing barrels.
Velocity will increase (to a point) as barrel length increases...but pressure does not.

We really need to have a chronograph to load H110/296 well.
H110/W296 likes pressure of around 32-35K before it settles down and becomes consistent.

You will see data listed as low at 25K but if you chronograph those loads you will see velocity swings of 100-250FPS+ from shot-to-shot.

As you find the powders' "Happy-Place" it will shift to 8-12fps ES in a 44 mag!!! And each gun, primer, case, and bullet may need a little different grain weight.. and so may each new lot of powder, to obtain this.

One of my 44's takes 26 grains of H110 behind a 280gr gas check cast bullet. And another one only take 24 grains behind a 240gr to give me the same single digit ES.

Some folks say they load for accuracy, not fps, but a velocity swing of 150fps is not accurate!! I don't care what your target at 7-25 yards tells you!

If you want to down load a 44...just use Unique. It's bulky enough that double charges are easily identified and the powder works great!
You will be able to load 700-1000, 44 mag rounds per can! And it works in everything from the little 32S&W all the way to the 45-90 Sharps.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Because Sam Colt don't make a 46."