Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton & Ross Seyfried led the way for most of us & we were very lucky for that. Elmer & Ross were great experimenters, Skeeter was my favorite writer & also did some experimenting but mostly kept us entertained with usual skill in writing & southwestern wit!
Ross was a very skilled, world champion & very experienced big game hunter with six guns & later five guns who did extensive testing with various bullets on large, dangerous game while working with PH Hugo Seia in Africa.
I will always remember him saying, the most skilled shooter he ever witnessed with the six gun, shotgun & rifle was Elmer Keith, this coming from a world champion handgunner!
Another very accomplished six gunner that took a great deal of big game & many mountain lions was Bob Hagel, a gifted witer & friend of Elmer Keith's who lived just north of Elmer at Gibbonsville down the Salmon River. He was a noted writer, mostly on rifles & loved the 7mm's, & loved the 7mm Mashburns.
I visited with him at his home just before my 2001 trip to Alaska & he was great to talk with although he was experiencing very bad headaches at the time & never found a cure. He has several books out that are excellent.
I think being a true handgunner also means promoting our sport, introducing others to shooting, donating ammo, etc. Showing people the correct way to get started, not over gunning a novice or bragging about shooting big calibers with heavy loads. Don't try to frighten away a shooter, try to help them get started, that's what will build our sport. And I think that's what most of us do.

Dick

Last edited by sixshot; 09/21/2017 7:39 PM.