Originally Posted By: cessna
Al Goerg was my first inspiration to handgun hunt. I've read and have Pioneering Handgun Hunting in my library. However 13 years before that (1952) he wrote Pacific and Northwest Hunting. There was a chapter on hunting with a handgun that really talked to me. He will always be special to me.

cessna, your one of the few who even know of his early book 'Pacific and Northwest Hunting"..This is what I wrote in my article "The other handgun hunting books":Pacific and Northwest Hunting by Al Goerg- 1952: The pic shows this book on top of Pioneering HH...............................

Al Goerg is best known for his extremely rare book entitled "Pioneering Handgun Hunting" but few people know of his 1952 published book called "Pacific and Northwest Hunting".This book deals with hunting in that part of the US and the weapons covered are mainly rifles,however,even in the early fifties Mr.Goreg included a chapter on hunting with a handgun.Here he mentions a handgun he carried,while hunting big game with a rifle,to be used for taking grouse.This turned out to be a small imported .25 caliber semi-auto which has to be the worst possible handgun for taking these birds.However,Al Goerg being the great handgunner he was had some improvements made to the small .25 auto.The front and rear sights were nothing but a groove cut into the top of the slide so he had half of a copper penny soldered in place for the front sight and the rear sight was a folding leaf "V" shaped rifle sight fastened and tightened in with a screw.When the screw was loosened it could be moved for windage adjustment.After many shots and many misses was he able to maintain a steady sight picture, and by only shooting at stationary birds he took every grouse he set those sights on....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"