Last week, my lovely wife gave me my first Smith and Wesson revolver.

It was an early 25th wedding anniversary gift and one that I'd been eye-ball'n for a while. When I received it, I only had two days before I was going to be out of town and I didn't want a brand new revolver setting in the safe unfired. So, the next day I immediately stuffed it full of some loads I had loaded for my GP100. It was a new load that I hadn't fired yet. It consist of a 158gr Speer Deep Curl over a max charge of H110.

I set up a 25 yard paper target to check point of impact and the first 3 round group was nothing to brag about. I figured it just needed a little seasoning and me getting used to the grip. I fired the second 3 round group and it was much better - measuring about 1". The group was about 3" high and about 5" to the left. I made appropriate adjustments and was going to reload and couldn't get the cylinder open. I messed with it a few minutes and it finally opened. I then shot another 3 round group. Group got a little tighter, but adjustments still needed - I made appropriate adjustments and fired again. This time all 3 rounds were one ragged hole. Now me and the gun are getting settled in. Time to reload and the dang cylinder won't open again! Well, finally get it open to reload and decided it was zeroed close enough to move to my 50 yard steel to fine tune the sights. (Sorry for not taking pictures of all this, but I was pressed for time.)
First 3 rounds measure about 2.5" - not bad for me with new gun and iron sights. The group was still high (about 4") and left (about 3") so I made more adjustments. This adjustment bottomed out my rear sight, so I'm hoping it's going to be close (I wanted about 2" high at 50 yards). Shot next 3 round group measuring about 1.5" - now I'm liking what I see, but still about 2" left. I now make my last windage adjustment and it's pegged out (Something ain't right!). I get ready to reload for one last cylinder and, you guessed it....can't get the dang cylinder open. Bye now I'm getting really aggravated!!! This is a brand new gun! After I finally get it open, reload, and shoot that last group, it's almost zeroed, but I'm all out of adjustments.
I fight with the cylinder again, get it opened to clear gun for inspection and realized the barrel is canted to the right from the perspective of looking through the sights while shooting. It wasn't noticeable while shooting, but when I looked from the muzzle end it was easily noticed. Well now I'm a real happy camper - got a brand new gun (Smith and Wesson), the cylinder latch is having issues and the barrel is canted.
I later researched this cant issue and it seems to be a problem from S&W for better than 10 years (That's how far back I found issues on various forums). You'd think if it's been an issue for 10 years or better, S&W would make a few adjustments with their QA/QC department. I thought S&W was supposed to be the Cadillac of double action revolvers. I've got to say, my first one has put a bad taste in my mouth! Hopefully their customer service is not as bad as there production guns. I know every company can produce a lemon from time to time and I'm not labeling S&W according to my first one, but........It's just very frustrating. If I was planning on scoping it, I prolly wouldn't worry as much about the canted barrel but I want to leave it with irons and I'd really like the cylinder to open when I need it to. I'll be contacting them for the return of my gun and will post the results.
Anyone else run into these issues?

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.