44 degrees, foggy, and the moon was still up. Not exactly good deer hunting conditions. After some coffee I decided to hunt the hogs. One of our food plots has been rooted up, so taking a hog off the property would be good.

I settled in the stand at 6 AM. The fog was so thick it was almost like rain as it dripped off everything in sight. As the sun broke I was really enjoying my first morning hunt of the year.

Out of nowhere I hear the hogs. They were up on the road and I figured it wouldnt be long before they slipped into the plantation pine and down to the SMZ where I was waiting. This plan is going to work!

Out of the corner of my eye I catch some movement back to my right. A small buck passed right into my shooting lane and stopped. I decided to pass and he moved to my left another 15 yards. At this point I see another buck following the first. Nicer horns and a bulkier body. The Ruger came up on its own and when he stopped I let the shot go. Mule kick, wobbly legs, 40 yards, and he's down. For some reason I looked back to my right and another buck was standing there. I should have waited as this fellow was really nice, but I had a deer down and plenty of work to do. I watched him trot off.

Ground shrinkage worked on the horns, but this is my first deer with the Ruger, first deer with a round I loaded, and first with a hardcast bullet. Altogether a nice morning I'll remember for years to come.

Next week I think I'll go deer hunting ... maybe some hogs will surprise me!

PsTaN

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"