Junebug,

You are speaking from behind a grey beard! The 40 yard limitation is for the "Perfect" situation, but I've been leaning more on the 25 yard and in. I've had a few 30-40 yard shots presented, but I didn't feel comfortable with the whole situation, so I passed.
I've kill quite a few whitetail with smoke poles and a few with smoke sticks, but not using patch'n ball. My first round ball kill was a Ram with the Old Army. It was shoot'n the same 35gr load of 777, but with a .457 ball - not .440 ball. The difference is about 30 gr weight - which everyone knows, makes a difference with penetration. The Ram was shot at 20 and then 30 yards, both with full penetration through one shoulder; which surprised me. That hunt gave me a little more confidence in the round ball performance, but it's still not a bullet.
I tried some mini-balls and 220 gr bullets in the Patriot, but the twist rate is way too slow and wouldn't stabilize the bullets. I'll experiment more during the off season, but for now I'll stick with the extremely accurate balls (The Patriot was actually designed as a competition target pistol, not a hunting pistol). I'm determined to kill a deer with it, just gotta' get that shot I'm looking for.

Dave,
Sorry for the highjack!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.