I m late to the party, but I'll through my 2 cents in. I carried the Super Black Hawk with a 5.5" barrel for 2 years. It's gone now. That little bugger just didn't shoot worth a hoot for me. Now I m running a Glock 40 10mm for open trail carry during hunting season. I have been for the last year or so. It also has it's pluses and minuses. I m planning on using it for Black Bear over bait at bow ranges this august, but that's not 100% firm especially with my 358 win ready at a moments notice. Now with all that said. My Glock is much easier to carry and much faster into action on the trail. Used it all fall while I was out hunting and in Montana as well.

My 44 SBH was ok to carry and heavy as all get out. I use my 10 mm for our local steel shoots to practice all summer. Couldn't even begin to fast draw and reload with the 44 mag SBH lol. Long story longer, there are many on here with excellent suggestions and more experience than my self, but if I was looking for a do all gun I would hands down go with a DA revolver in at 357 mag with a 4-6" barrel.

357 would be your least expensive to shoot especially with 38 special and trust me a good 38 load is all we need out here on the east coast from Florida to Maine.

GA bear is no more of a threat than the bears here in the ADK or along the PA border. I find dogs and people to be much more of an issue (huge actually). Also we are required by law to CC out side of hunting season on the trail(and in public). I carry a S&W 442 in 38 Special and never feel under gunned. I use a basic 125 gr xtp at normal pressures and feel I could turn any 2 or 4 legged thing around if need be.

My picks would be DA Revolver SP 101 357 with 4.2 barrel. Dream to carry and shoot cheaply. After that I would go with a Smith combat 69 in 44 mag/ special. Finally I would go with G20 or G40 in 10 mm if you where so inclined to consider a Semi.

If you intend to CC with the same handgun I would go either SP 101 / G20 for do all's

Last edited by big spruce; 02/03/2018 4:33 PM.

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner