Originally Posted By: karl
 Originally Posted By: JDK
Here is something I've been wrestling with: if I start reloading 30-30 ammo, should I also have it rechambered to the AI version? It'll still fire standard round, but allow a good boost for reloads.

Here's my $0.02
Others can chime in on the value gained from the AI version, but part of the answer depends on what bullet you want to shoot. I shoot the Barnes black tipped TAC-TX bullet designed for the 300BO (110 but 120gn also available). The low suggested velocity required for 2x expansion on impact (1450fps) means that I have a much farther effective range determined by bullet function (~400 yards) with my 14" contender setup then I am comfortable shooting. The extra recoil and powder needed would not give me any added advantage on deer or moderate sized hogs. I backed off velocity to get better accuracy.

Not to derail the thread, but thanks for the info on that bullet. The 120 offers about the same BC as the Nosler 125 BT, but drops the threshold of useful velocity down about 400 FPS. Pretty nice, just a bit pricey.

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.