Originally Posted By: GG
I have a question.. why does it seem handgun hunters dislike the 460? You don't hear a whole lot about them in post or in handgun magazines. They don't seem do draw the excitement that other rounds seem to.

In my opinion, the 460 really comes into it's own when used in a single shot platform, and with the heavier 335 wlngc bullets. I LOVED my 460 S&W that I built on a T/C Pro Hunter frame. Had a 14" barrel from MGM with a two inch brake. Custom forend and a Leupold scope. 200 yards wasn't even a cause for concern. I think the 200gr scam bullets are for show. Put in some heavy for caliber stuff, and the 460 really starts to flex some muscle. Put that into a single shot platform where you aren't losing ANY pressure across a cylinder gap, and I think it is one of the finest shooting firearms I ever owned.

I really loved that caliber for a long time -- till I discovered the 500 JRH. My passion for long distance was replaced with a passion for big explosions. I'll have another 460 some day, but it won't be in a revolver. My first handgun kill was with the 460 S&W XVR revolver, but that revolver was soon replaced with single action revolvers simply because of the ease of carry with the Ruger SBH.

I still like the 460, but only in a single shot or rifle configuration.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.