This seemed like a good hunt to go on in Feb. Cold in WV, snow. Go to AZ and get warm. Was I ever fooled.
I did my usual testing of guns on groundhogs and deer to find one with a bullet that wouldn't tear these animals up. The 6.5JDJ, .25-06, .250 Sav. AI, and 6.5/.284 all failed. Way too much damage.
After 6 groundhogs and 3 deer out to 401 yds. the winner was my 6mmAI Encore and 85 gr. NPTs. I though I chose wisely. Showed the gun to my guide and he was not happy. He said he'd had problems with other hunters not using enough gun on these tough, little fellas. I told him what I had and he said I should have brought my .376 Steyr!!!
First day of the hunt found us on this bowl shaped knoll with a 360* view out to 1200 yds. He'd already taken 6 pigs here. That made me a little concerned. Sunny AZ was 28* and 15mph winds the first morning. I'd brought my fall hunting gear. I was cold and shivered for several hours.
Finally at 11 AM he saw 4 pigs at 100 yds. We put the move on. The brush was thick. We couldn't see them on each little knoll on the way until 300 yds. He showed me a grey spot that looked like a big rock. The brush was still too thick and I refused to shoot the "rock".
We continued our sneak. No good at 200 yds. (still a rock to me). We made it to 110 yds. and had a good view of the rock. He had me look closer and the rock finally twitched an ear!
I set up my BogPod with PSR , and we waited. We made no noise. Suddenly the rock exploded and pigs ran in a line. 4 little ones. No go. 4 mid size ones. Nope. Then, holy cow!!! was a whopper, but they were all running???
Josh pulled out his rabbit call and blew it like crazy. The pigs came to a stop in 30 yds.??? , then started back to where they were bedded!
Again, 4 little ones and 4 mid size- all running. The big boy walked to the only opening in the brush and stopped. I heard the pop of the bullet hitting. He ran hard. We waited 15 minutes.
There was no blood at the site of the shot, but 10 yds. later he lay dead!!!
The PT hit an onside rib and showed a 2" entrance hole. Internal damage in one shoulder and lungs was 1 1/2". The exit was 1". The nose of the PT expanded on the rib. Only the base penetrated fully. I asked him why they were so tough? He didn't like the question.
Cool animal, cool hunt, awesome performance from my little pea shooter gun. The rest of the trip was memorable. 20-30*, snowed on twice, saw the Grand Canyon (in the cold). I had to come back to WV to get warm.

Last edited by wvhitman; 03/07/2018 12:30 AM.