You would have done fine with all of them. The problem we encountered when we hunted them was that, in South Texas anyway, they're always two steps from thick cover and cactus. I used a .357 mag. and my cousin used a .44 special, both revolvers. I saw one of his absorb a 240 Sierra JHP in the boiler room. It probably went less then 40 yards, but took a long time to find. We just started using headshots. As we hunted in really thick stuff, usually on the ground in close, it wasn't a hard shot. Plus, their heads are about half their body.

To echo 45man, they don't seem to be real popular game animals here. No one really eats them, but I've had it twice. Once fried, and it was OK, and once in stew. The stew recipe was purported to be one Larry Kelly wrote about using for Cape Buffalo. Sort of fitting, we thought.

We enjoyed hunting them, partly because of the rough terrain they occupy, and partly because they were a great quarry for sixguns. They have poor eyesight, but a great sense of smell, and we had a lot of fun hunting them.

Interestingly, I read that in 2000 scientists discovered a giant Peccary species in Brazil. It weighs upwards of 88-110 lbs. that's staring to get scary!

John

But for the grace of God, there, I go.