Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
If I?m looking at a dead animal, the bullet did its job.

I think blindly accepting a kill as a bullet success might be inviting disaster. It could be happenstance and a little luck that was more responsible for the demise of the animal than the bullet doing its job as designed. This is why we perform necropsies on all the animals we kill. I just have to know what happened....

I have stood over a dead animal killed with one shot. Opened it up and surveyed the internal results and not liked what I saw. The bullet worked, the animal is dead, but maybe I didn?t get the amount of damage or expansion/penetration I wanted. Ultimately deciding to use a different bullet next time or at a later date.

A recent example, I have been using the 165gr Sierra HPBT-GK in .308 Win to cull a bunch of deer and pigs the past couple months. They have all died but the internal damage or the recovered bullets aren?t what I?m looking for.

Not pleased with the bullet and could say it has ?failed? in that respect. But, it?s killed everything I?ve shot with it. The end result? I will use up the loads I have left.........and switch to the ELD-Match. A bullet not designed for hunting but that gives me ?better? results.

Waste not. Want not. Got the Sierras loaded. Just don?t like them.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith