Critical details are often different, but there is a fair amount of 300BO testing on youtube. Below is one with the TAC-TX and Varmageddon side by side. Nosler states 2150fps on their load, but don't give the barrel length used to measure that. Maybe if you loaded it down below that it wouldn't explode on impact and you would get more then 10" of penetration (2150 with 110gn pill in 30-30AI will already be quite loaded down). How about the 110gn V-max or Z-max? I found the V-max to be quite accurate in my 30-30 loads at 2500fps with 14" barrel.

Based on the available evidence, I was comfortable with the tac-tx at pistol velocities on deer without terminal testing, but I would want to do some terminal testing on varmint bullets before setting a young one up with a chance to wound and lose a deer. Unless I wanted a challenge(and since I'm lazy) and needed to prove the nay-sayers wrong, I would buy 2 boxes of the Barnes, load some to acceptable accuracy and velocity and let him use those for the next year or two (telling him to avoid the tx heart shot) until he grows into something heavier and move on to other projects.

If you do go the varmint route, please post your findings as I think a lot of folks would be quite interested and I'm sure they would be quite thorough.

The video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3o4DReyJqw

Last edited by karl; 03/22/2018 2:36 PM.